THE date of April 30 has great significance in the history of the Dutch monarchy
. Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, who reigned from 1948-80, was born on April 30, 1909. She abdicated on her 71st birthday, April 30, 1980…
- Her daughter Beatrix then became Queen and she too abdicated on April 30, when her son Willem-Alexander became King in 2013.
- Strictly speaking ‘Holland’ consists of only two of the 12 provinces of the Netherlands: North and South Holland.
- The weight of fish landed in the Netherlands in a year is equal to that of 54 billion pound coins.
- Everyone in the Netherlands was sentenced to death by the Spanish Inquisition in 1568.
- The hole in the centre of a CD was the size of the smallest coin in Europe, a Dutch 10 cent, abolished when the Netherlands joined the euro.
- The height of the average Dutchman increased by more than 3cm from the start of the 1980s, to above 180cm in 2000.
- The height of the average Dutchman seems now to have peaked at 183.9cm (6ft 0.4in).
- A report in 2013 listed the Netherlands as the world’s ninth happiest country. The UK came 16th.
- The Netherlands has 16.77 million people and 18 million bicycles.